A climber fell 200 metres into a glacier in conditions that stopped helicopters getting close, so Land Search & Rescue teams went in.

A climber had fallen 200 vertical metres into a glacier, a weather bomb was due to arrive, and rescue organisations were about to start a seven-and-a-half-hour effort.
There were gale-force winds and rain as crews battled to retrieve Emma Langley and her crew from Mt Ruapehu in September 2020.
Despite what has been called a truly heroic effort by rescuers, Emma Langley, 37, didnt survive her injuries.
Helicopters couldnt get near and despite what was called a truly heroic effort by rescuers the 37-year-old Wellington resident couldnt survive her injuries.
But search and rescue teams got Langley and her eight companions back to Tkino Village around midnight.
READ MORE:* A woman has died after slipping and falling on Mt Ruapehu* Skier injured in Mt Ruapehu fall remains in hospital * Police warn skiers to stay inside boundaries after two injured in horror mishap * Climber escapes serious injury on Mt Ruapehu after 15-metre drop into crevasse* How the rescue of Australian soldier Terry Harch on Mt Aspiring played out
On Tuesday, their work was recognised in the 2020 New Zealand Search and Rescue Awards.
The operation to bring home Emma Langley (who had taken a big fall and sustained serious injuries) and eight of her climbing companions from high on Mt Ruapehu, with the knowledge of a forecasted weather bomb to arrive, was a truly heroic effort by all involved, a statement from NZ Search & Rescue and NZ Police said.
It epitomises the community spirit and goodwill of trained and skilled LandSAR volunteers in support of the SAR lead agency, NZ Police.
Five rescue teams 22 people overall were sent up Mt Ruapehu for a ground rescue on September 26, 2020.
Police got a call about Langleys 200-metre fall into Whangaehu Glacier about 1pm on September 26, 2020.
Shed been in group mountaineering about 2500m up Mt Ruapehu.
The weather was fast getting worse, and strong winds stopped a rescue helicopter from getting near the scene.
Boots on the ground was the only possible option, so police sent the Ruapehu Alpine Rescue Organisation, LandSAR Trangi and Tkino Ski Patrol in for a ground rescue.
Overall, five rescue teams 22 people in total were sent up the mountain.
As soon as the first person reached Langley, about 5.30pm, they prepared for a stretcher carry.
Getting Langley and her companions off the mountain took 7.5 hours, with many challenges and hurdles for rescue teams.
Bad weather was setting in fast as Land Search & Rescue teams headed up Mt Ruapehu to retrieve an injured climber and her eight companions.
There were gale-force winds, rain, and cloud descended at nightfall, meaning it was still impossible for a helicopter to get in.
The injured Langley was carried out of the Whangaehu Glacier on a stretcher, using a ropes and belay system.
Rescuers prepped some sections of the rig to make the rescue as fast as possible.
This was an extremely challenging rescue operation only achievable with the skills and experience of the members of Ruapehu Alpine Rescue Organisation (RARO), Tkino Ski Patrol and LandSAR Trangi, said Sergeant Toby Officer of Taup Police Search and Rescue.
Several civilian search and rescue teams worked with police squads from two districts.
Working in such extreme circumstances, it was vital to have had earlier collaboration and training, Senior Constable Conrad Smith of National Park Central Districts Police said.
With risks present, such as a night-time alpine environment, very high winds, ice, cliffs, rope systems and stretchers, such as this was, you need to know and trust the people you are working with.
The incident control point was at a ski lodge in Tkino Village, and the eight people who had been climbing with Langley arrived with rescuers just before midnight.
Rescuers brought Langley in soon after, but she was unable to survive her injuries and was pronounced dead on arrival at the village.